Interaction Design (MA)
Time to degree: three semesters (31 credits)
Part-time options are available
Classes begin Fall 2020
We are currently accepting applications for this program for Fall 2020.
Create meaningful interactive experiences in the Interaction Design master’s degree program at Columbia College Chicago. This one-year program will challenge you creatively and technically, and combines both the “soft” and “hard” skills demanded by the industry. From leadership and project management to development and programming, you’ll learn how to both design and implement products.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Inside the Classroom
Craft your interaction design path by choosing one of three concentrations in Immersive Experiences, Interfaces and Applications, or User Experience. Each of these concentrations includes:
- Leadership courses that emphasize collaborative teamwork strategies used by the industry.
- Interaction design theory courses that examine user experience design, information architecture, and user research methods.
- Development courses to build your technical competencies in programming languages and application design. Even if your career path isn’t in development, you’ll be able to converse with or lead development teams to finish projects. Previous programming experience is not necessary.
- An open-ended thesis project that includes a practicum experience and a writing component in the final semester.
Careers in Interaction Design
We designed our curriculum to prepare Interaction Design MA graduates to take on managerial roles within their current workplaces or enter a new career within the wide-ranging field of interaction design. Common titles might include product manager, web or app developer, product designer, UX interaction designer, programmer, user experience architect, and more.
Creative Spaces and Facilities
The Interactive Arts and Media Department offers lab space and prototyping equipment to fit your needs. Our facilities include:
- Computer labs equipped with industry-standard prototyping and design software.
- On-site equipment checkout center with HD video cameras, DSLR cameras, microphones, audio recorders, and more.
- Fabrication Lab with a large-format printer and 3D printer.
Our faculty members are working professionals and experts in user experience design, programming, audio art, game design, and more. Most importantly, they’re dedicated teachers, bringing their knowledge of groundbreaking theories and techniques into the classroom.